Is the healthy choice always the easy choice? Not usually, but its hard to be decisive when you are hungry and there are so many flashy goodies in our faces. Here's a list of better options when you only have a couple of dollars and a corner store is your only place to grab a bite.
1. 1. You want chips and you are going for a big bag of Lays. Instead, give the Baked Lays a try! You’ll save calories and fats by choosing baked over regular potato chips. And you still get that crunch!
2. 2. You want a something sweet and so you are thinking about a big Arizona Fruit punch. Grab a Tropicana 100% fresh squeezed orange juice. I know I know , you don’t get nearly as much in quantity, but your body will thank you. Pure juices (no additives) in general can help hydrate your body, keeping you mentally and physically energetic. The sugars that are packed into Arizona and other fruit ‘juice’ options actually dehydrate us.
3. 3. You know how he slogan says, “Hungry? Grab a Snickers” We say, “Hungry? Grab a Cliff Bar or an Odwalla Bar” They’re sold at most corner stores, and give you protein, fiber, and some deliciousness too! Our favorite is Cool Mint Chocolate, one of the lowest sugar flavors too!
4. 4. It’s 3:30 and you’re craving a bag of pork rinds, or maybe pretzels. You have that itch for salt, I know….we recommend buying the smaller bag of salted cashews or almonds. (Stay away from the flavored nuts, especially those 99 cent bags of flavored peanuts from Planters or Mr. Peanut.
5. 5. Crackers, there are so many to choose from. Saltines, Cheez-Its, the list goes on. How about grabbing a bag of whole wheat Pepperidge Farms Goldfish crackers? They satisfy that need for crunch but also have the whole grains our body needs!
Yes we know, it’s not easy to always choose healthy…but your body will love you for it!